[WG: Sakai QA] Sakai 10.0-RC02 released and need a "smoke test" for final release

Neal Caidin neal.caidin at apereo.org
Thu Jun 12 12:01:48 PDT 2014

[sakai-qa and sakai-dev]

Hi all,

We are happy to announce the availability of Release Candidate 02 (RC02)
for Sakai 10.0 and it is available on QA servers for testing [1].

We have a few issues already fixed for RC03 and one issue is in progress
of being fixed, possibly for RC03, but is not being considered a blocker
for the release [2].

A proposal will be floated shortly to suggest that we will be ready to
start the Sakai 10.0 release process next week!

In the short amount of time left before the release (assuming the
proposal passes and no additional blockers are identified), I would like
us to come up with a "smoke test" for a quick QA cycle. The purpose of a
smoke test is to make sure that no obvious problems exist in the main
functions of Sakai. If anyone would like to work with me on this, or
suggest items for inclusion in the test, please contact me by tomorrow,
Friday, June 13.

Strawperson smoke test (meaning putting something together as an example
to stimulate discussion)  :

1) Creating a course site
2) Creating a project site
3) Creating at least one group
4) Releasing one Announcement to the whole site and one to just the group.
5) Creating an Assignment - checking that all the Assignment options are
available. Adding the Assignment to the Schedule. Taking an assignment
and grading it.
6) Creating a Test with the top 5 most popular question types. Taking
the Test as a student role and grading it.
7) Creating a Syllabus, linking to an Assignment
8) Adding resources with Drag and Drop
9) Adding a Web Content link
10) Adding a page to the Wiki
11) Creating a Topic and posting twice in the Forums tool
12) Creating a Lesson with one conditional release item
13) Updating Profiles with two different accounts, connecting them, and
creating a worksite for that ad hoc group
14) Emailing the class

Thanks!
Neal

[1] http://indiana.sakaiqa.org and http://longsight.sakaiqa.org both
have RC02 installed and ready for QA testing
[2] Issue targeted to be fixed for RC03 but not a blocker -

Neal Caidin
Sakai Community Coordinator
Apereo Foundation
neal.caidin at apereo.org