[WG: Sakai QA] Additional Sakai 10 property questions

Neal Caidin neal.caidin at apereo.org
Fri Jan 10 07:17:04 PST 2014

Hi All,

By default, we are now turning on features by default [a]. However, in
QA testing we ran into a few properties that are not turned on by
default and prevented us from verifying some Jiras.

1) Proposal: Turn on ical.experimental to true by default, and change
the name to calendar.ical.enabled ?  This seemed to be the sense of
folks attending the Sakai release team meeting. It appears to have been
in experimental status for about 5 years [b]

2) Keep enableSitePresences at org.sakaiproject.sitestats.api.StatsManager
off by default? Turning it on would also require
display.users.present=true [c].  There were mixed comments about whether
to turn this on by default. The concern raised is that this has
potential performance and security issues, which based on our criteria
would mean that this should stay off by default.

3) serverWideStatsEnabled at org.sakaiproject.sitestats.api.StatsManager
keep default off?   Couldn't find much documentation on this one [d]

[a] Decision for Properties : "We plan on turning on all new features
for Sakai 10 in source code, by default, except for features with
performance or security concerns, or settings which are too ambiguous to
guess at a standard need across institutions."

[b] ical.experimental -
https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/SCHED/Home?src=search

[c] enableSitePresences at org.sakaiproject.sitestats.api.StatsManager -
https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/STAT/Configuration+Options?src=search