[WG: Sakai QA] [cle-release-team] Additional Sakai 10 property questions

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Fri Jan 10 07:47:01 PST 2014

I missed the call because of local issues but here are my thoughts

1) This was recommended back on
https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-18799.

I noted 5 jiras that are limitations with this functionality that would
either be fixed or should be mentioned to the user as limitations so there
isn't and confusion when it didn't work correctly. 2 of those issues have
been closed since as "Won't Fix", 3 of them are still open. The last one is
the only one I can see as a potentially easy fix.

- The calendar import will skip the import of any individual full day
events, re-occurring events, events without an end time and events in
shared calendars provided without full details (free/busy style in Google
calendars)
- It was recommended also on that ticket that this feature could also
introduce a potential performance issue, though a lot of events imported
into a schedule would probably have the same effect right now.

2) This option has historically been a performance problem in the past,
sometime contributing up to 15-20% additional database load since the
presence information is updated and queried on the database rather than via
something like JMS. There are ways to adjust this, and I think it should be
mentioned, but I'd probably also be concerned about performance, especially
in large classes. We could mention it in the documentation though.

3) This was turned off in the past because it queried the events tables
directly, which resulted in poor performance, and many institutions
warehouse that data so it was limited. There also wasn't support for
Oracle. Steve added this support for 10 (
https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/STAT-299 /
https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/STAT-330) so is something that I would
be okay with re-enabling and testing, though previous semesters data would
still be missing for schools that clean up their events table.