[WG: Sakai QA] [Using Sakai] Forums slowness

John F. Hall hall at UDel.Edu
Tue Oct 13 05:51:52 PDT 2009

Adding and new index on "SAKAI"."MFR_MESSAGE_T" ("IN_REPLY_TO")  just
helped our performance tremendously (in one case a 1min to 9 sec load time).

Is there an existing Confluence page for database indexing (I looked but
didn't find one)?  It seems like there's a lot of examples of indexes
that make a big difference in Forums and other tools scattered in Jiras
and message board posts.  A single page to collect them all and for
comments on them might help other find them and get them into future
Sakai releases. It would also help for checking for ones that might be
missing after an upgrade or restore.

As for those patches that are in Trunk now, to get them to be candidates
to be merged into 2.6.x we just need to verify them in a trunk install
and then mark 2.6.X status as "Merge" if they work, or does someone need
to create a 2.6-compatible patch first and test it against 2.6.x?

I have a Selenium script to reply to a Forum message in a loop, so I can
just let that run to generate enough posts to see problems.  The current
issues we're seeing are based on number of posts, not system load so
It's easier to reproduce and test.

-John