[WG: Sakai QA] QA and user testing

Daphne Ogle daphne at media.berkeley.edu
Tue Jul 28 14:57:08 PDT 2009

I agree with Clay that user testing (around Forums or other) could be
a good collaborative best practice effort for the UX community to
rally around.  I heard lots of interest in gearing this group up again
at the conference.  What say you all? :)

We did/do a significant amount of distributed user testing on Fluid.
I think we could use that structure, process, documentation, etc. as a
model for getting started in this community.  I'd be happy (and look
forward) to working with others to make this happen (create protocols,
etc.), particularly if we can push it off until September.

Some links of interest:

- General user testing information in the Fluid Design Handbook:   http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Design+Handbook
- Specific examples of testing done in Fluid (see any in the completed
list):   http://wiki.fluidproject.org/display/fluid/Fluid+User+Testing

The basic process was:
-  identify goals and success criteria
-  create protocol & supplemental documentation (consent forms,
demographic questionnaire, post-test questionnaire, etc.)
-  testers at various institutions run users through protocol &
document results on shared space
-  analysis, summaries and suggested enhancements worked on
collaboratively with team involved (share out - either via posting to
wiki or a quick presentation)

If we wanted to follow this model we need 2 or 3 (including someone
from the Forum project) for the 1st 2 activities.  Then we could have
a wide net of testers that have less time to commit yet want to be
involved and gain insight into use on their campus.  I think we would
also want commitment from that group to be part of activity 4.

Thoughts?  Interested parties?

-Daphne