[WG: Sakai QA] [DG: User Experience] QA and user testing

Clay Fenlason clay.fenlason at et.gatech.edu
Tue Jul 28 09:52:15 PDT 2009

Yes, to be clear, I wasn't imagining changing the design, and even
smoothing changes would I think have to be very minor - I think all
would agree that trying to redesign during QA would be bad practice
for a variety of reasons.  What's more, "comments on the changes" was
not what I would hope to get from the UX group.  I would be looking
for systematic user testing with an analysis of results appropriate to
expertise in the discipline.  It's not going to just be designers
weighing in with their opinions, or I will have considered it a
failure.

The main aim is to bring some heft to a claim in the release notes
that we have Forums UI improvements. I'm hoping that our product
releases have clear rationales as a general rule - and demonstrated
results - for the changes they introduce.  It seems only proper for
our QA process to weigh a piece of work on relevant metrics of
success, and for a UX improvement something will be missed if we only
look at technical failures, while at the same time I think it could
also represent an opportunity for our UX community to ground itself in
best practices in this area, as well as educate the rest of the
community on how to do this work well (i.e. so that there is
documentation that can be used by development teams for their projects
in future).

~Clay