[WG: Sakai QA] QA and user testing

Clay Fenlason clay.fenlason at et.gatech.edu
Mon Jul 27 10:40:05 PDT 2009

I was reviewing the excellent documentation for a set of Forums UI
changes (see http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/x/EoLgAw), and it
reminded me of an old idea. We tend to test for technical failure
foremost, but the main claim of the Forums UI work is that it improves
usability. It would seem to me sound QA practice to test this, using
community expertise in good user testing practice.  Could this be an
area where the UX group and QA WG could join forces? Would anyone like
to take a look at proposed 2.7 changes that have a clear UI impact and
conduct reviews or testing along these lines?

There's something that may feel a little misplaced in vetting a design
when development has been essentially completed, I know, but I think
it would help the community to have strong confirmation of the
imagined benefits, and if there are still small rough edges to smooth
over it may not be too late to address, say, CSS and HTML during QA.

~Clay