[sakai-pmc] [sakai-core-team] Please help with Sakai's Google Summer of Code 2015 application

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Tue Feb 24 10:13:15 PST 2015

Looks like some good ideas.

#3 - I think this is mostly already done right as part of
https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-18678 and
https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-18984 ? The database just isn't
the default source, used only as overrides. We are currently using Crowdin
as the default website as the central database. (
https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/I18N/Crowdin.net). I'm not sure
what the missing piece for this task would be?

#5 - This is a good idea, I'd been thinking about this. I think with the
removal of iframes it might make it easier to do. In any case it seems like
it would be a mostly javascript component, similar to the portal chat
window. It's a good idea though.

#7 - I might just start with Canvabadges and add in the necessary hooks so
Sakai could use that. Last I saw there were just a few api's that needed to
be implemented by Sakai to hook up with this. The only real downside is
it's written in ruby, but someone could probably get it up on jruby if they
wanted it in the jvm. It feels like it would save time over writing a full
featured badging tool?

Yeah, regarding your #10, yeah it's a really old FCKEditor picker that was
modified, but still has a lot of legacy.  I figured we were probably better
off doing an integration with some finder that's already better to start
with (like elFinder or KCFinder) rather than trying to improve this finder.
This is certainly an involved summer project.