[sakai-pmc] rWiki and xWiki > Re: Talkin' Sakai 11

Charles Severance csev at umich.edu
Wed Feb 12 07:09:25 PST 2014

(With my teacher hat on)

The biggest problem with using a Wiki outside of Sakai is that Wikis tend to have a mentality that everything is viewable and either anyone or a few people can edit pages.   They don't "namespace" pages - they feel like they are a "site" with pages - not lots of sites with pagers that are mostly private and rarely public.

So even if you make LTI work and do single sign on - you find yourself fighting the wiki's urge to make everything public - even something pretty awesome and cool like WikiSpaces falls short because of its "public-first" approach.

In an LMS a wiki is a very different beast than a wiki that is being used to collaboratively maintain a public-facing site.

/Chuck.