[sakai-pmc] Proposal to lock down IE version for Sakai 10

Neal Caidin neal.caidin at apereo.org
Thu Apr 3 12:21:26 PDT 2014

[sakai-dev, PMC, core team]

Hi,

At today's Sakai core team meeting we discussed locking down which
version of Internet Explorer we should officially support for Sakai 10.
IE has a proven history of coming out with new versions that break
functionality. Since most of our IE testing has taken place on IE 11,
that is what we propose is the locked down version.

Proposal
--------------------
Set the default compatibility for Internet Explorer to version 11, using
this setting:
#Set to version 11
sakai.X-UA-Compatible=IE=EmulateIE11

One way to override this to use the latest version is :
#Set to make IE use whatever the latest version is
#sakai.X-UA-Compatible=edge

We also discussed the need for a setting of blank
#sakai.X-UA-Compatible=
to have a case in which Sakai does not check for compatibility. This
would not be a feature for Sakai 10 (too late for new features) but
could be in a future version.

Example from Sakai 2.9
-------------------------------------
     In 2.9 we locked IE to 9 but this flag was removed as part of the
config property cleanup
         https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/KNL-697
      This was mostly protection against yet unreleased versions of IE
(like IE12) rather than keeping the version restricted until we're able
to test for the future.
     Specifically issues with other libraries like jquery and CKEditor
(11 broke ckeditor in a number of places)
         https://dev.ckeditor.com/ticket/10612

Time frame:
-------------------------
Please voice any concerns by Monday, April 7. That is the cutoff date
for any concerns related to the proposal.

Process:
A material objection raised by a Sakai PMC member will block this
proposal.  Silence equals consent. Please remember that this is a public
list.

Thanks,
Neal

--