[Building Sakai] The use of curly brackets in the Fill in the Blank questions (SAM-2320/SAM-2419)

RAUL SANCHEZ VEGAS raulsv at um.es
Thu Mar 26 01:10:56 PDT 2015

Hi Matthew

Using a single square bracket for the response areas does not avoid the
problem because instructors may want to use these charactes in their
question text rather than to use them as answer key delimiters.

We believe that if we preserve both formats (single and double curly
brackets) we will still have the problem about not being able to use the
single curly brackets as part of the question text. Furthermore, the
double curly brackets solutions have the same problem because it may
exist mathjax expressions that use double curly bracket too.

We had a local discussion and we believe that the best approach to solve
Jiras SAM-2320/SAM-2419 at the same time is to improve the "fill in
blank"(FIB) save functionality to ignore Mathjax expressions before
saving the question. The Mathjax expressions are delimited between the
'$' character so Samigo should ignore all the expressions what are
delimited between the '$' character when saving a FIB question. Eg:

'FIB' Question text:

"What kind of matrix is this? $\begin{pmatrix}2 & 3 \\ 1 & 4
\end{pmatrix}$: {2x2 matrix}"

Our proposal is to ignore single curly brackets within the mathjax
expression (between $) and gets the text "2x2 matrix" as answer key
because it is delimited by single curly brackets and not by the $ character.

In the same way, if the instructor wants to use single curly brackets to
create a programming question he should use the curly brackets delimited
by the $ character. Eg:

"if(a<i)${$
              a = a+i;
              i{++};
$}$"

With this proposal, we will ignore single curly brackets between $ and
gets "++" as the answer key because it is delimited by single curly
brackets and not by the $ character.

What do you think about it? Does it sound reasonable?