[Building Sakai] The use of curly brackets in the Fill in the Blank questions (SAM-2320/SAM-2419)

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Tue Mar 17 06:10:11 PDT 2015

Do you know what other LMSes do for this question type? A quick search for
Canvas is that they use a single square bracket
<http://guides.instructure.com/m/4152/l/43378-how-do-i-create-a-fill-in-multiple-blanks-question#!prettyPhoto>
for the response areas. Does this avoid the problem? I'm not sure why the
curly brackets were chosen. In the QTI Export
<http://www.imsglobal.org/question/qtiv1p2/imsqti_res_bestv1p2.html#1405222>
it's
completely broken down into separate XML sections so that doesn't matter
either.

I *think* you'd want to keep it simple, and I also think a conversion would
be tricky so you'd probably also have to make both formats work, the old
one if someone wanted to use it, and some new one to work around the
MathJAX problem (which is filed as SAM-2320). In that case since it's a
special edge case, maybe having instructions to use a double bracket would
be the easiest and just preserve both formats?