[Building Sakai] Question about shopping period settings (DA tool)

Jim Mezzanotte jmezzanotte at anisakai.com
Mon Oct 13 15:49:34 PDT 2014

Hi all,

I've been documenting the Delegated Access tool (for Sakai admins),
and I have a question about shopping period settings.

If you go to:

"Delegated Shopping Admin User Use Case"
(https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/DAC/Delegated+Access+Tool#DelegatedAccessTool-ShoppingUserUseCase)

You'll see the following:

"You also have the ability to choose which tools are restricted for
shoppers by clicking the 'Restrict Tools' link and selecting the tools
you want to restrict."

But it looks like there's been a change since this was written. Now
what you see instead is a "Show Tools" link. When you click this link
you get a "Choose Tools to Show" popup window (see attached image). In
this window, the text says "choosing a tool in the list will show the
tool for this user."

So I'm having trouble figuring out how this works. I thought it might
provide access to additional tools than what the selected "user
becomes" role would provide, but that doesn't seem to be the case. It
also doesn't make much sense--it's much easier to restrict access to a
tool, since providing access means deciding permissions too.

I also tried this as "restrict access in reverse." In other words, do
you pick tools to show so that only those tools are accessible,
regardless of the "user becomes" role selected? But this also had no
effect I could see. I tested with both "public" and "logged in"
settings in this window. I'm assuming that "public" only affects
behavior if the Shopping tool is added to the gateway, and "logged in"
when it's added to My Workspace, but I can't be sure.

Apologies in advance if I'm missing something obvious, but I'm stumped
on this one.

Working in the 10.x maintenance branch (http://nightly2.sakaiproject.org:8081).

On a related note--could someone add a prop setting for this instance?
The setting is:

delegatedaccess.siteaccess.instructorViewable=true

Need this functionality enabled in Site Editor to confirm/document the
"advanced" shopping admin settings ("disable instructor override" and
"disable 'public' option").

Thanks in advance for the help!

Jim Mezzanotte
Asahi Net International