[Building Sakai] Question about shopping period settings (DA tool)

Bryan Holladay holladay at longsight.com
Mon Oct 13 16:08:01 PDT 2014

Shopping period is for opening up specific tools in courses to the public
(users not required to log in) or private (require users to login). In the
shopping period settings page, you can select which sites are open during
specific dates. Those sites will get either the ".auth" or ".anon" role.
These roles are copied from the selected "user becomes" role. So if you
select "Student", then anyone who accesses a shopping site will get the
permissions that a student has. However, this doesn't control what tools
are shown. The "Choose tools to show" list allows you to specify which
tools a logged in user can see and which tools a non logged in user can
see. All other tools are hidden. An example case is opening up just the
syllabus tool for all courses for only logged in users. This way you can
ensure that only your institutional users can view any syllabus for any
course without having to be a member of the course. The shopping tool can
be added to the Gateway page as a way for students to search and access
these sites. The gateway page is optimal because non logged in users can
access it and search. If you only have logged in access for shopping, then
it could also just be added to MyWorkspace.