[Building Sakai] adding user event tracking to sitestats

Paul Lukasewych plukasew at uwo.ca
Thu May 8 07:11:55 PDT 2014

We would like to add the ability to retrieve the actual event information (not
just an aggregate count) for a particular user from the sitestats tool. Our
user community is used to having this information available, as it was a
standard feature of our previous LMS (WebCT) and was quite heavily used.

>From what I can tell, this could be done in a couple of ways:

1. On-demand querying of the sakai_event/sakai_session tables (maybe there is
an API call for this instead?) when a user wants to see the event details

2. Add an extra table to sitestats to store the extended information rather
than just the count

>From my experience querying the database directly, option 1 is going to be
extremely slow, whereas option 2 is essentially duplicating a lot of
information that already exists elsewhere

If anyone has done something like this before, or has any thoughts/opinions
about the best approach, I'd be interested in hearing it.

Thanks,

Paul Lukasewych
Applications Development Team
Information Technology Services