[Building Sakai] mathml support

Sam Ottenhoff ottenhoff at longsight.com
Thu Feb 27 08:00:15 PST 2014

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 10:46 AM, Adam Marshall
<adam.marshall at it.ox.ac.uk>wrote:

> I see that ckedit in Sakai 10 has MathML functionality.

Can you be more specific?  The default editor config does have integration
with FMath which allows users to create complex equations via a GUI.  The
end result is an image.

> Looking at <http://caniuse.com/mathml> it would appear that the standard
> is barely supported. Is this chart wrong? (A quick test indicates that
> Chrome, Opera and Firefox all display the formulae that I've entered, so
> maybe it is.)
>
> Does anybody have any more info?

The chart is correct.  There has never been good browser support for MathML
rendering in the browser.

> I'm worried that adding this functionality looks risky - what if Chrome &
> IE completely remove support?

The FMath editor creates images because browsers have offered such lousy
support for MathML.

> I would have thought that it would be best to leave institutions to decide
> themselves whether they want to take the risk.

The CKEditor config is easy to modify in a single JS file
(ckeditor.launch.js).  Institutions continue to be free to modify the
default config and use other editors like the completely Javascript-based
editor from WIRIS (http://www.wiris.com/en/).  We felt that including a
free editor by default that produces images made the Sakai default build
better.

--Sam