[Building Sakai] Read Committed

Ethan Kromhout ethan_kromhout at unc.edu
Sat Aug 23 04:12:41 PDT 2014

Thank you Sam! We are running Sakai 2.9.2 on MySQL 5.5.12 Enterprise.
What happens is that we are running along fine, not much going to the
slow query log but the occasional forum or grade query. Then we'll
rather suddenly go to a bad state where lots of queries that normally
run well are running slowly, and application performance slows to a
crawl. This happens at high load times, though not every time we are
busy. This is the first week of classes, and this occurred twice on
Tuesday and once  on Thursday, but we ran fine for 48 hours in between.

We have only been able to get out of the state by shutting users out, at
which point we have making changes we hope will improve performance and
restarting. Changes so far include increasing
innodb_buffer_pool_instances to 8, increasing innodb_buffer_pool_size to
24G, increasing innodb_thread_concurrency to 24, increasing
innodb_log_file_size to 512M, and increasing innodb_log_files_in_group to 4.

Thanks again,

Ethan