[Building Sakai] Certification Tool in Sakai 10

Brian Baillargeon bbailla2 at uwo.ca
Wed Apr 23 13:50:30 PDT 2014

The certification tool in contrib hasn't been touched in nearly two
years. We have been actively updating our fork of the certification tool
in our msub:
https://source.sakaiproject.org/svn/msub/uwo.ca/certification/trunk/

We have it deployed in production here at Western University (we're
running Sakai 2.9.1), and it's used by a few sites, though we keep it
stealthed. Here are a few of the features we have that you won't find in
contrib

  * a reporting interface that you can export into a few different formats
  * certificate expiration
  * improved UI, forms are more intuitive
  * requirements can be displayed to students (this is configurable)
  * bug fixes

The logic to determine whether you have earned a certificate is
different in our instance - when a student checks their status, the tool
always checks if they met their requirements on the fly. In contrib, it
awards the student once, then stores a row in the database indicating
the student's success.

It's still a work in progress, there's a lot of grade calculation logic
that needs to be replaced with edu-services calls, but these problems
are also in contrib. That's why we keep it stealthed.

We encourage you to check it out, it may save you a lot of work.

-Brian