[Building Sakai] External users and properties

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Thu Mar 28 15:25:47 PDT 2013

I believe that SAKAI_USER_PROPERTY was really meant for only storing
properties for internal users. What you'd want is to put your values in the
SAKAI_PREFERENCES table. Where bundles of properties are XML encoded and it
doesn't have any foreign keys.

We saw this with the tutorial tool that had errors when using the
properties table for provided users.

Editing the preferences external XML is more difficult outside of Sakai,
but the code for the UserDirectoryService properties verses
PreferenceService is almost the same.

There is at least 1 open issue with provided users and user properties (
https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/KNL-1014). I think we're not the only
ones confused with this! I'm not too sure you're want to risk taking away
that constraint, at least without figuring out the difference between the
SAKAI_USER_PROPERTIES and SAKAI_PREFERENCES..