[Building Sakai] Newbee need help with Sakai

Pierre Kellerman PKellerman at realpeople.co.za
Thu Jun 13 01:32:07 PDT 2013

Good day all.

I am Pierre Kellerman and am totally new to Sakai.

The company I am working for is considering using Sakai as their Student
portal. And I was tasked to get the site up and running to run a pilot
server.

We will be using a Windows Server, Apache Tomcat and a MySQL database.

I am new to Java and Apache Tomcat. But know MySQL very well.

I found a walk through at.

https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/BOOT/Development+Environment+Set
up+Walkthrough

And followed it although I do have some differences.

I have Java 1.7.0_21 Installed

I have MySQL 5.5.25 Installed

I managed to get Maven 3.0.5 installed (This is new for me)

I have SVN 1.7.8 Installed (Struggled a bit but got the proxy settings
going)

I have Tomcat 7.0 Installed. The Windows Service Version. And even though
this is totally new for me managed to get the Tomcat sample going. I also
experimented with some Simple JSP pages just to proof to myself That I
understand the Tomcat way of doing things.

Like I said I followed the walkthrough closely but with the versions that I
have that may be newer that that the Walkthrough was created with.

I have two problems.

I cannot run "mvn -Pcafe clean install" it keep failing saying that there is
a problem in the POM file and the project Portal cannot be found.

I eventually gave up and used "mvn clean install" instead. This failed a
couple of times but eventually ran through fine.

Then I ran "mvn sakai:deploy" that also worked fine. The next step is to
check that sakai is properly installed.

When I go to my URL http://localhost:8080, the browser just hangs. I can see
that the sakai files is deployed to the Tomcat server.

And when I connect to my MySql database I can even see that tables have been
created in the database. But Sakai never starts. Also I try to stop the
Topcat Service and if fail (do not want to stop) what can be wrong, where do
I start trouble shouting. I am struggling for days now with this, and hope
someone can assist me in getting this site up and running so I can continue
with the next step of getting the development environment going.

O BTW I have the source for Sakai 2.9 version.

I know this is a long tedious mail. Hopefully someone out there is willing
to assist me in this undertaking.