[Building Sakai] Sakai 2.9.1 and IE8

Stephen Marquard stephen.marquard at uct.ac.za
Fri Jun 14 07:04:06 PDT 2013

Hi Keli,

We haven't tested much with IE9, mostly because it hasn't been rolled out to labs etc. on campus. So you probably know more than I do about the IE9-specific issues.

However, I did today test with an IE9 browser and can confirm that we're not seeing CSS support that one would expect (e.g. rounded corners) with our  "IE=8" setting.  The default "IE=EmulateIE9" breaks IE8 (for on-campus browsers which default to compatibility mode). Also we know "IE=EmulateIE8" doesn't work with Sakai 2.9.x CSS (for IE8 in compat mode) because that's what we started with. Setting " sakai.X-UA-Compatible=IE=8,IE=9" seems to give good results, i.e. doesn't break IE8 but does give IE9 CSS features though I haven't tested this much.

In IE8 you can tell whether the header value is effective for on-campus machines, because when it is, Tools / Compatibility View is greyed out and cannot be selected (regardless of the state of the Compatibility View Settings).

Googling suggested a whole lot of variations on how you could set this and what worked. It would be great if someone wrote a test plan for what to check (e.g. in our case the location of the 'my user' on the top of the portal moved to the far-left with IE8 in compat mode).

The sakai.properties setting is used to set an http header directly (rather than include it in the html source). E.g. if you run (or use Firebug or similar to look at http responses directly):

# curl --verbose --output /dev/null http://nightly2.sakaiproject.org:8087/portal/

you'll see the line

Regards
Stephen

---
Stephen Marquard, Acting Director
Centre for Educational Technology, University of Cape Town
http://www.cet.uct.ac.za
stephen.marquard at uct.ac.za