[Building Sakai] Clog, JSON and "clog.modify.permissions" issue

Daniel Merino daniel.merino at unavarra.es
Mon Aug 19 01:31:21 PDT 2013

Hi again.

Answering myself, this is caused by
https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/CLOG-76 , where modify_permissions
permission is bypassed by realm.upd permission in
getPermissionsForCurrentUserAndSite() function at SakaiProxyImpl.java.

I think that this is not correct, because realm.upd can have some
utility for access role. For example IIRC this permission allows to
modify public resources. In fact, we have this permission added to our
access/student roles since Sakai 2.5.

Having an existing clog.modify_permissions permission available, IMHO it
should not be bypassed. I think that modification of permissions through
web services is a common task for every sakai admin.

We are going to revert CLOG-76 in our local instance.

Best regards.

PD: If somebody has reasons to think that realm.upd in access role is a
bad idea, I also would be happy to know them.

--
Daniel Merino Echeverría
daniel.merino at unavarra.es
Gestor de teleformación - Centro Superior de Innovación Educativa.
Ser ateo es jugarsela. Si te equivocas, vas al infierno de cabeza. En
cambio, si estás en lo cierto, ni te enteras!!! (Perich)