[Building Sakai] Announcements tool query

Chris Kretler ckretler at umich.edu
Mon Apr 29 09:04:32 PDT 2013

Hello Francois,

We experienced the same issue here at Michigan.  It appears that starting
in 2.8, the announcements tool checks to see if a user has the site.visit
realm permission before sending a notification email.  Instructors do not
have this permission in Group templates, therefore do not receive the
notification.  We worked around this by modifying the instructor role in
our group template to contain the site.visit permission.  This means that
newly created groups will have the necessary permissions.  We are also
working on a SQL query to update existing groups to have this permission.
Until we have modified all existing groups, we modify them by hand in the
Realms tool if a user reports a problem.

Here is a relevant jira:
https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/UMICH-765

And another that may be relevant:

Regards,