[Building Sakai] sakai-2.9.x-all build broken

Seth Theriault slt at columbia.edu
Fri Nov 16 16:05:52 PST 2012

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 5:23 PM, David Adams <da1 at vt.edu> wrote:

> Well, it's handy that you have commit access and decision-making power
> over the kernel. Maybe UVa and VT are the only schools who munge up the
> kernel locally? Some of our changes are not appropriate to be merged, in any case.

You are not alone. Columbia has used an msub directory and a local
subversion server to maintain locally modified code for 2.6 and our
current 2.8 (we build all from source, no binaries). We have changes
to many things including the kernel; some of these changes find their
way back into the community code. I think that everyone agrees that
getting appropriate local changes back into the community-maintained
code should be a goal for everyone. We actually have a few cases of
dropping "local" version because the changes came back into the main
lines.

On the subject of indie-fication, my personal opinion is that it's a
bit out of control and needs to be scaled back. Feel free to call this
re-evaluation if you like. It was said to greatly simplify release and
deployment, but I don't think it has seen the level of expected
benefits. If you look at the evolution from 2.6 (kernel is the only
indie) to 2.7 (couple of indies) to 2.8 (more indies), it got harder
and hard to keep track of what is actively being developed and what
was just being indie-fied for other reasons.

Seth