[Building Sakai] sakai-2.9.x-all build broken

Steve Swinsburg steve.swinsburg at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 20:10:01 PST 2012

On 17/11/2012, at 11:05 AM, Seth Theriault <slt at columbia.edu> wrote:

> On the subject of indie-fication, my personal opinion is that it's a
> bit out of control and needs to be scaled back. Feel free to call this
> re-evaluation if you like. It was said to greatly simplify release and
> deployment, but I don't think it has seen the level of expected
> benefits. If you look at the evolution from 2.6 (kernel is the only
> indie) to 2.7 (couple of indies) to 2.8 (more indies), it got harder
> and hard to keep track of what is actively being developed and what
> was just being indie-fied for other reasons.

Totally agree here. For example the portal is an indie, though its kind of a required component... IMO there should be a core set of components that allow Sakai to build and run. Kind of like what the cafe build use to be, the minimum. That should be the default source code. Then the rest of the tools are available as indies and then it becomes like a plugin based approach. Those that want to build everything from source still can by modifying the externals/msub.

cheers,