[Building Sakai] Samigo swapping published assessments id's

Ashley Willis ashley_willis at unc.edu
Wed Mar 28 08:31:26 PDT 2012

We have encountered a strange scenario at UNC with Samigo and published
assessments. We have an instructor that published "Quiz 5" around
2/10/12. It was a timed (33min) test. Students took and submitted the
test with no issues and it was due and retracted on 2/14.

The instructor published "Quiz 7" on 3/16/12 (33 min timed), due and
retracted on 3/19/12. Students apparently took and submitted Quiz 7
according to the events table and the grades were recorded correctly in
gradebook for Quiz 7.

However when the students look at their submissions in Test & Quizzes,
they see 2 submissions for Quiz 5. One of them clearly should be Quiz 7,
the dates and scores match but the title is wrong. FWIW, the erroneous
entry is bold and marked "Recorded".

The Instructor only sees 9 submissions for Quiz 7, there are roughly
~152 submissions missing. In sam_assessmentgrading_t, the submissions
for Quiz 7 are showing up with the publishedassessmentId for Quiz 5 and
they are marked late even though they were submitted on time according
to Quiz 7 settings. It seems as though somehow Samigo associated Quiz 7
with Quiz 5 when the students submitted their tests.

Some background, it is possible the instructor removed/edited Quiz 7
after it was published and then republished. I don't see evidence of
that in the events table but she was not able to recall. I do see
several edits to the test before it was published though. Also, she is
using timed assessments, but for Quiz 7 she also selected Automatic
Submission. The tests all appear to be manually submitted and we have
let the instructor know not to select both options next time but we are
not sure if that would have somehow caused an issue.

Clearly we want to figure out what happened, but in the meantime we were
wondering if it is possible to change the publishedassessmentId in
sam_assessmentgrading_t to the published id for Quiz 7 without causing
any other issues. The intention is to fix the view for the students so
they see the submission for Quiz 7 in T&Q instead of 2 submissions for
Quiz 5.

TIA for any help!
Ashley Willis
Teaching and Learning Developer, UNC Chapel Hill