[Building Sakai] Renaming tools (bad habit)

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Wed Mar 28 08:15:23 PDT 2012

Some tips:

You can change tool titles and descriptions in tools.properties in the
config project. Then you only have to rebuild this project for all tools.
Just put in the id that's in the registration if it isn't already in here
(like some contrib tool). In 2.7+ you can't even override the name in the
registration file anymore, it only comes from this because of changes to
i18n (https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/KNL-226 /
https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-19720)

https://source.sakaiproject.org/svn/config/trunk/localization/bundles/src/bundle/org/sakaiproject/localization/bundle/tool/tools.properties

This will save modifying these. If you need to change anything else in the
tool registration we added a patch to kernel for 2.9 that allows you to add
the tool registrations to ${sakai.home}/tools/<xml registration files>. It
will override whatever would normally be loaded. (
https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/KNL-342 )

In addition, I made some changes in trunk for the help file loading. You
can now put overridden help files into
${sakai.home]/help/help_tool_directory/help.html (
https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-21675 ). This patch is only in
trunk. You could add this patch and put the help files you modified here.

However I also added this patch which overwrites the skin repo in the help
files if it's modified from the default (
https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-21708). Hard coded in every help
file was "/library/skin" and that needed to change if the skin repo
changed. This is similar to what you're requesting.

I was thinking it would be best if all of these help files are templates
with some simple variables like (tool title) (tool description) (skin
repo), then I could just have used some simple template processor like JTpl
to quickly replace. But alas that would have required modifying every help
file in the system (and contrib). I know skin hard coded repo is static in
every file, replacing the title would be harder because it wouldn't know
what the default title to replace is?