[Building Sakai] LDAP Crashing when more than 2000 users per site

Andrei Chirila Andrei.Chirila at isdc.eu
Tue Jun 12 05:56:38 PDT 2012

Hi,

I was wondering if somebody else from the community ran into the same LDAP problems as we have (LOI) when having more than 2000 users in a site.

The idea is that the jldap provider generates quite a heavy LDAP query:
|((uid=111000)(uid=111001)...(uid=113000)). Our Oracle OID LDAP vendor is refusing to run this query so we are looking for alternatives:

1. We group all users within a site in an LDAP group as well, so the query will be dramatically simplified. But then we will have to maintain users in a site also in the LDAP group. This also means that we have to patch the project.

2. We patch the LDAP provider to query LDAP in batches of x. This solution has quite an impact.

3. We use the LDAP only for authentication purposes and we keep user data in the Sakai DB tables.

Can anyone advise us? Has anyone else had a similar experience as we have?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad

With kind regards,

Andrei Chirilă