[Building Sakai] dividing Sites into categories

John Bush john.bush at rsmart.com
Thu Jul 26 22:28:10 PDT 2012

I think this is a bit of a custom issue.  The common use case for
sakai users is that enrollments are provisioned.  The exception is
probably the use of project sites, which are more adhoc.

Somewhere along the way there was some notion of a hierarchy or
grouping of sites, but I'm not sure where that went if anywhere.

In the past when we've had to do this we've use site properties to
flag sites.  So you can build a college/department/campus/school
whatever type structure using site properties. Then we've correlated
user to the site groupings using user properties.  But we were
provisioning, not allow self registration.  I'd say the data
structures are there to support what you need, but you probably need
some sort of new registration UI to understand this data and present
it to the user.

I guess if you want to just go low tech maybe you could do something
creative just with the site title naming.

On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 7:56 PM, Brian Armstrong <brianarm at comcast.net> wrote:
> I need to somehow group the list of Joinable Sites into categories.  Whether
> that is with roles, permissions, groups, or whatever.  Our site is
> completely self registering, and when a new user signs in, they need to see
> that certain sites apply to only certain users (they will know who they
> are).  I just don’t want them to have to search through the entire list of
> sites.
>

> Is this a custom coding issue?  Is there some way to set this up just using
> the admin site?  It seems like if Sakai is geared toward institutions, there
> would be a straightforward manner to separate into departments\colleges\etc.
> Am I just missing something?
>

> Brian Armstrong

John Bush
602-490-0470