[Building Sakai] Sakai CLE build java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

Simon McLeish simon.mcleish at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 03:29:54 PDT 2012

Thanks for that - but fixing the syntax of the values makes no difference
(I think the missing ms were a typo in my last attempt to change things). I
updated /etc/bash.bashrc because using export from the command line doesn't
work for sudo (as sudo deletes most of the environment variables, even if
you do "sudo export a=b; command").

But I did some further testing, and it looks as though it's just not
possible to get sudo to pick up the values correctly even when they're part
of the system-wide bash startup. What I appear to need to do is to copy the
source directory to ~root, and compile as root. It runs at between 80 and
95% memory capacity (so up to about 975 Mb used) and seemed to be running
fine at that level, but then the virtual server went down during the final
tests - so I'll need to try again later.

Thanks,
Simon