[Building Sakai] Sakai CLE build java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space

Matthew Buckett matthew.buckett at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jul 23 02:54:38 PDT 2012

On 23 July 2012 09:45, Simon McLeish <simon.mcleish at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm currently trying to get my first source code build of Sakai working, and
> am getting memory errors despite setting MAVEN_OPTS to "-Xms1024 -Xmx1024
> -XX:PermSize=1024m -XX:MaxPermSize=1024m" - larger values than suggested

Your -Xms value is wrong (missing the unit value, "m") and normally
maven will blowup if you try to run it with incorrect Java opts:

Incompatible minimum and maximum heap sizes specified

So I don't think you are setting your MAVEN_OPTS correctly, you need
to export them with:

export MAVEN_OPTS='-Xms128m -Xmx796m -XX:PermSize=64m -XX:MaxPermSize=172m'

I normally put this in my shell startup script.

Looking at the wiki page:

https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/BOOT/Development+Environment+Setup+Walkthrough

it seems this page is missing the export. Can someone fix this please
(I can't edit the page).

--
  Matthew Buckett
  VLE Developer, LTG, Oxford University Computing Services