[Building Sakai] External User search in Sakai

Aaron Zeckoski azeckoski at unicon.net
Mon Jul 9 04:32:41 PDT 2012

> separateIdEid at org.sakaiproject.user.api.UserDirectoryService=false
>
> Not sure what exactly this property is used for.

This property means that the internal id of the user will match with
the external id (the eid).

This is not used very often for a few reasons:
1) if a user ever has their username (e.g. azeckoski) changed because
they got married, changed their name, were being stalked, etc. then
you have to go through the DB and remap all the items (assignments,
grades, resources, etc.) to the new one

2) this is a little less secure since the id that is presented
externally (the eid) matches the internal id therefore revealing
information about the internal data structure keys to a would-be
attacker

3) this is not the default and most people will leave it as is OOTB

My guess is that this query either never worked with this setting or
something changed more recently. The fix should generally be to assume
the id and eid are the same and chop out the portion of the query that
attempts to link to the SAKAI_USER_ID_MAP table.

-AZ