[Building Sakai] Chrome and samigo assessment time?

Joshua Swink joshua.swink at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 12:31:16 PST 2012

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 11:46 AM, Karen Tsao <ktsao at stanford.edu> wrote:

> Hi Josh,
>
> Here is what I understand from your previous email:
>
> Your exam is a two hour timed exam. The student exited in the middle and
> came back after some break. When she got back, she saw 30 min left from the
> Samigo timer bar.
>
> Now I have couple of questions here.

> How much time difference between she left the exam and retake the exam?

About 1 minute.

> Did she log out of Sakai? If yes, did she log back in to a different
> server?

No.

> Also, can you please explain what do you mean by "According to the server,
> she still had an hour left, not 30 minutes, when she restarted her
> browser."? Does your "server" refer to the database record?

Yes, at the time her browser shut down and restarted, she had one hour left
on the exam, according to Sakai. I determined this by looking at the start
time of the assessment as recorded in the database.

> And what do you mean by "the browser was shut down for no more than 1
> minute."? I thought she submitted the exam after 30 min?

Let me describe the timeline.

4:00 PM Student starts a two-hour timed exam
5:00 PM Browser shows one hour left. Then the browser shuts down for
whatever reason
5:01 PM The browser is restarted. The browser shows 30 minutes left on exam
(incorrectly)
5:30 PM Student submits exam, thinking that time is up (incorrectly)

By the way, can you please let me know what Samigo version you use?

I'm not 100% sure, it's the version that comes with Sakai 2.7.1.

Josh