[Building Sakai] Site's URL alias regression at 2.9?

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Fri Dec 28 08:47:05 PST 2012

It sounds like the addition of this feature to 2.8 (being able to edit
aliases and add multiple aliases) created a lot of additional feature
requests. (Some might consider them regressions)
- It seems like from tools that use the aliases, there's no way as a
non-admin to remove the aliases. Previously it would just replace the alias
- There is no limit on the number of aliases that can be used as Daniel
mentioned (SAK-23080)
- Duplicate email aliases cannot be reused in different contexts (example
mail archive/site alias)
  - I'm not too sure how alias service works, but right now it's just
ALIAS_ID -> TARGET. The tools that use this call AliasService->getTarget

It seems like this should have been?
public String getTarget(String alias, String toolId) instead of public
String getTarget(String alias)

Though that seems like a lot of things would need to change. The conversion
could be the trickier part, but should be possible by pulling data from the
target. I don't know how many tools use aliases though? It does seem pretty
reasonable that you'd want the same alias for site id and mail archive id
though as Steve said . . .