[Building Sakai] tomcat 7/java 7

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Wed Aug 8 13:46:28 PDT 2012

Hi John,

For 2.8, the easiest way to fix this is to add this javaopt
*-Dorg.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.STRICT_WHITESPACE*

They changed the default so a lot of code had to change.

I believe all of the related fixes were on

Here were some tips I posted back when we had the issue, including a regex.
https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/BOOT/Tips+for+cleaning+up+org.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser+issues

We still have to run with the option
-Dorg.apache.jasper.compiler.Parser.STRICT_QUOTE_ESCAPING=false

because that was too much to clean up and qa, but that was back from a 5.5
version of tomcat.