[Building Sakai] Email Template Service open issues

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Mon Apr 23 17:33:58 PDT 2012

I'm just sending this out to see if anyone is planning on working on some
of the higher priority email template service issues, it seems like this
tool has problems in 2.8.x and 2.9.x.

These are the open issues
https://jira.sakaiproject.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=13278

Some of this discussion was here:
http://collab.sakaiproject.org/pipermail/sakai-dev/2011-September/014132.html

Basically Steve mentioned 2 jiras that were fixed recently.

However, in 2.8.1 and 2.9 it's still possible to create email templates
with duplicate key + locale, it seems even unintentionally. Though it's
only possible to get returned one of them (random? first?)
from getEmailTemplate. (https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-21739)
Mathieu mentioned seeing hundreds of duplicates, I've seen some servers
with dozens. This really should be enforced and a database script provided
to clean up "old" entries. It's even more of a problem as there's no way to
delete entries from the UI (https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-19927)
even if you could track down the bad ones, so they pile up until cleaned on
the database.

Another one I filed today is a difference between 2.8.x nightly and 2.9.x,
and it's where many more templates are being created in 2.9 with now with
the "NULL" locale or a blank locale. There doesn't seem to be any "en"
locales in 2.9. I suppose (SAK-20825) removed the requirement for any
locale at all but what happens between a blank locale, a null locale and an
en local template? Previously in 2.8 they were created with (I believe) the
en locale. In the UI it just says "Locale"?
https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-22093.

I believe some of these should be possibly considered blockers for the 2.9
release because they make the system very difficult/confusing to use. I
could work on these if nobody else is but just checking first.