[Building Sakai] Reading lists work at Oxford

Adam Marshall adam.marshall at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Nov 23 07:14:31 PST 2011

Next year we are look at doing the following

Create Reading List from RIS source file & improve student view of list

The current RIS import loses some important fields. Also, reading lists imported in this way will not have dynamic availability information as they won't have the openURL reference that we need.

    Task 1

Either create 2 additional "import links" ('Import from EndNote (RIS)' and 'Import from RefWorks (RIS)') or, if this is possible, determine the source of a RIS file and process accordingly
        - we will need a wide ranging and representative sample of RIS formatted lists for testing purposes

    Task 2

Add 'Resolve' fucntionality. This allows one to step through each item on a list and grab the openURL reference. (There is likely to be a number of choices, eg, different editions of a book, so one must be presented with radio buttons to choose just one) This will allow WL to dynamic insert availability information.
        - will be have to do this for journals articles / journals too?
        - we should be able to have an "unresolvable item" - this could be fixed by uploading a PDF into resources but this depends on WP14 which is scheduled for year 2

Entity Broker API:

Reading List API. Given a reading list of ID X, get the reading list items as JSON/XML:

    list of all items on reading list of ID X, each item contains all the meta data we know about - this roughly maps to the page one sees when one enters a citation manually with the addition of a couple of internal IDs
    preserve the specified ordering
    bear in mind that one day we may have HTML elements of the reading lust, we may optionally want to retrieve these in the array of results so may want a "type" of item returned
    the title and description will come via the Resources API