[Building Sakai] WebDAV instructions in Sakai help

Venstra, Elizabeth erytting at indiana.edu
Thu Feb 3 06:23:10 PST 2011

Hi all,

I wonder if I can get enough of an opinion about WebDAV to move forward with changes to a few help/Knowledge Base documents.  I'm hoping that the Sakai community would be okay with using the same solution as IU has decided on, so I can just make the IU version of the documents visible in the Sakai domains also.

Right now, the documents about WebDAV display instructions in the Sakai domains for the native method of connecting in each OS, for Vista, XP, and Mac OS X 10.4 and later.  (For Mac OS X 10.3 and earlier, we tell people they need to download Goliath.) But I have been told that the reliability for these methods is sketchy at best for Vista and basically non-existent for Windows 7, or something like that.  Instead, at IU, we are recommending that people use third-party clients-Cyberduck for Mac OS X 10.4 and later, and AnyClient for Windows Vista or 7 (or anyone else who wants to use it, since it's available for Windows, Mac, and Linux).

What do you all think of third-party clients, and those two specifically?  Would you be comfortable relying on IU's testing for this method?

Or do I need to wait for a documentation group to specifically look at these documents?  (If so, the Sakai version will continue to lack instructions for 7 until somebody in the Sakai community provides them.)

Thanks,

Elizabeth Venstra
Knowledge Management team
Indiana University