[Building Sakai] WebDAV instructions in Sakai help

Charles Hedrick hedrick at rutgers.edu
Thu Feb 3 06:46:24 PST 2011

I recently revised the instructions. The new version documents Cyberduck for older versions of OS X. For newer versions, it tells how to use the finder, but starts with the following:

Note 1. Depending upon the exact update of OS X, The Webdav support in the Macintosh Finder may well be too buggy to use. If you have problems with this approach, consider using Cyberduck (link to the section of the documentation explaining how to use Cyberduck).

I have mixed experience with OS X. I find the native support usable but buggy. The worst bug is that if a mount fails, the finder sometimes gets stuck on the hostname and port you supplied, so even if you tell it to mount a different URL it still retries the one that failed. There's no way out other than to reboot (or maybe logout).

The Windows XP instructions use My Network Places. As far as I know, Network Places has always worked.

The problem is that in Vista they removed that by default, so the builtin approach used the OS client, which was buggy in the initial release of Vista. I am reasonably sure that Windows Vista was fixed in SP3, and that the fix got into Windows 7. (I actually got to the Microsoft developer in charge of Webdav, but it was too late for Vista SP 2.) I've not seen any problems with Vista SP3 or 7. So for Vista and Windows 7, we document the native approach, but give Anyclient as an alternative. Anyclient should really only be needed for unpatched versions of Vista.

Some sites might choose to change the order. The advantage of the native approach is that it allows use from within applications and the command line. I find that useful.