[Building Sakai] Rutgers is now using innodb-plugin in production

Charles Hedrick hedrick at rutgers.edu
Mon Dec 19 10:54:47 PST 2011

We've had two episodes of the database server going to 100%. Because some of my tests have shown that innodb-plugin works better under some kinds of load, we're moving to it. We also had a DNS problem that might have contributed to this. It's been fixed, so if our problems don't come back we may not be sure what caused it.

We're using old versions of mysql 5.1, simply because we haven't wanted to upgrade in the middle of the year, 5.1.44 with innodb plugin 1.0.6. We'll probably be moving from our Solaris-based server to a server on Linux running the newest 5.1, in late January. It's the final part of our new Xenserver / iSCSI virtual architecture. After looking at various test results I've decided to run the new system with hypertheading on. Innodb plugin should deal with the multicore scaling problems sufficiently for that to make sense.