[Building Sakai] Sakai database graphic representation

Nate Angell nangell at rsmart.com
Tue Apr 19 23:41:12 PDT 2011

Mat:

While direct calls to the db may be a worthy approach, I believe a lot
of the most interesting data for learning analytics is already
captured in the Sakai events table and reported by the existing Site
Statistics tool, which can now be deployed in the admin workspace and
report across all sites in an instance.

I wanted to let you know that Marist was recently awarded a Wave 1
Next Generation Learning Challenges grant to explore learning
analytics in Sakai specifically, in partnership with other
institutions and with a goal of exposing learning analytics from Sakai
to external analysis/early warning tools (likely via a web service).
Perhaps your colleague may want to connect with and/or build on that
work, which will be kicking off shortly, and begin in earnest in Fall
2011, when live classes at several institutions will pilot real-time
academic interventions based on learning analytics from Sakai. I'm
copying Marist's Josh Baron on this email as the primary contact of
this NGLC Open Academic Analytics Initiative (OAAI) grant.

In related news, I believe Cambridge is working with some other
institutions to extract/anonymize Sakai data, with a focus more on
analyzing good technology management practices based on real data,
with funding from JISC as I understand it. Copying John Norman as a
first contact on that project.

--
Nate Angell
Sakai Product Manager