[Building Sakai] Sakai 2.7.0 Realms Information Required

Kara Stiles kara.stiles at rsmart.com
Mon Oct 4 14:20:19 PDT 2010

Farhan,

If you're just looking to add a new user to the Administration Workspace,
you can use the Site Setup tool to add anyone to the Administration
Workspace (much like you'd add a user to a course or project site).

If you're looking for an interesting way to create another level of admin,
use this workaround:

So...we call this a "junior admin" (we can't seem to think of a more
reasonable name), and we got the idea to use the !site.helper to make a
junior admin from the CLEW team at University of Windsor.  I'm not sure I
can solve your problem regarding non-admins needing access to Job Scheduler,
but we've got instructions on giving helpdesk users access to some other
cool stuff that might help your implementation.  Read on for more info. Just
to warn you, it's deliciously complicated. The warning in this set of
instructions is only a real warning if you choose to be liberal with the
permissions in !site.helper. If you grant 'read only' perms, it's less
scary:

As a system admin, you may want to create a "junior admin"--a user who can
access and manage sites in the CLE but who does not have access to the Sakai
Administration workspace. Keep in mind that you'll still need access to the
Admin workspace to create a junior admin. *Warning*: A junior admin may
manage ANY site within your instance of Sakai. If you plan on creating
"junior admin" roles for students working at your help desk, you MUST make
sure they are not able to manage their own courses! We highly recommend
providing student workers with separate "junior admin" user IDs that are
different from their regular user IDs, to safeguard against this
possibility.

The first step is creating a project site--give it an appropriate name, such
as "Junior Admin." When creating the site, you only need to add the Home and
Site Editor tools. Be sure to copy the site ID, so you can quickly find the
site in the Admin workspace. To do so, simply copy all of the site's URL to
the right of the last backslash. The site ID will look similar to this:

*b92587ec-56fb-46e5-860d-e7d6830399f6*

Go to the Admin workspace and select the Sites tool. Find the Junior Admin
site you just created, using the Site ID search if necessary by pasting in
the site ID you copied. When you find the site, click on its link. You must
now add two admin tools to the site manually--the User Membership tool and
the Site Stats Admin tool. To do so, follow these steps:

   1. Scroll down to "Add/edit pages" and click the *Pages* button.
   2. In the toolbar, click *New Page* and enter "User Membership" in the
   "Title" field.
   3. Under "Continue Editing," click *Tools*.
   4. In the toolbar, click *New Tools*.
   5. Select the User Membership tool and click *Save*.
   6. Repeat this process to add the Site Stats Admin tool.

 Next, select the Realms tool. Find the realm for the Junior Admin site you
created, again pasting the site ID in the search field if necessary. When
you find the site, click on its link. Then, in the "Role ID" list, click the
*Participant* link, and grant permission to the following functions:

   - sitestats.view
   - sitestats.admin.view
   - usermembership.view

 When you're finished, click *Save*. Complete the same steps for the
Organizer role in the realm.

Now find and select the "!site.helper" realm. In the toolbar, click *Add
Role*, and in the "Role ID" field, enter an appropriate name, such as
"junioradmin." Then, grant permission to the following functions:

   - annc--ALL
   - asn--EXCEPT "asn.receive.notifications" and "asn.submit"
   - assessment--EXCEPT "assessment.submitAssessmentForGrade" and
   "assessment.takeAssessment"
   - blogwow--ALL
   - calendar--ALL
   - chat--ALL
   - content--ALL
   - dropbox--ONLY "dropbox.maintain"
   - eval--EXCEPT "eval.be.evaluated" and "eval.take.evaluation"
   - gradebook--EXCEPT "gradebook.viewOwnGrades"
   - jforum--EXCEPT "jforum.admin"
   - mail--ALL
   - mailtool--ALL
   - melete--ALL
   - metaobj--EXCEPT "metaobj.suggest.global.publish"
   - mneme--EXCEPT "mneme.guest" and "mneme.submit"
   - osp--EXCEPT all "osp.style" functions
   - poll--EXCEPT "poll.vote"
   - realm--ONLY "realm.upd"
   - roster--EXCEPT "roster.viewhidden"
   - rwiki--EXCEPT "rwiki.superadmin"
   - section.role--ONLY "section.role.instructor"
   - site--EXCEPT "site.add.usersite" and "site.visit.unp"
   - sitestats--ALL
   - usermembership.view
   - virtual_classroom_session--ALL

 When you're finished, click *Save*.

 Next, select the "!site.helper"
realm again and follow these steps:

   1. Click *Grant Ability* in the toolbar .
   2. In the User ID field, enter the user ID for the person you want
   promoted to junior admin.
   3. Select "junioradmin" as the person's role in the "!site.helper" realm.
   4. Click *Save*.
   5. Repeat this process to add all junior admins to the "!site.helper"
   realm.

 Finally, go to your Junior Admin project site. Using the Site Editor tool,
add the junior admin users as participants. As always, be sure to check your
work. Log in as a junior admin user. Then, confirm that you can view
statistics for each site type, and that you can use the User Membership tool
to help a user troubleshoot a site in which you are not a participant.

Bye now,

Kara Stiles

rSmart