[Building Sakai] Anybody using search in a clustered setting ?

Mathieu Plourde mathieu at udel.edu
Fri Nov 5 09:40:19 PDT 2010

Hi George,

We turned off the Search after one week when we deployed Sakai in production
because of the load on the server, and never turned it back on. I'd like to
find a way to get it to work again as well. We have not really looked at
alternatives, except maybe skipping the full content indexation of certain
document types like Word documents or PDFs.

Mathieu

On Fri, Nov 5, 2010 at 12:29 PM, George Pipkin <gpp8p at virginia.edu> wrote:

> Hi Everybody -
>
>    A year or so ago we decided to turn off the search feature because
> at startup,
> more often than not Lucene detected a bad index and decided to start
> re-indexing everything. This created intolerable load levels, and we had
> to turn it off.  However, we'd like to get search going again, and one
> option
> we're looking at is the one being used at Cambridge where 'good' indexes
> are
> copied from other nodes in the cluster.
>
>    I was wondering if anybody else is running search in a clustered
> setting, and if
> so, how it's being supported. Is anybody other than Cambridge using the
> scripts
> written by Daniel Parry that synchronize indexes ?  Have they been
> modified ?  Are
> there other approaches to this problem ?
>
>                                         - George Pipkin
>                                            U.Va.

Mathieu Plourde, MBA
Project Leader, LMS/Instructional Designer
IT-Client Support & Services
mathieu at udel.edu
Office: 302-831-4060

TOP LINKS: