[Building Sakai] Anybody using search in a clustered setting ?

Joshua Swink joshua.swink at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 11:33:23 PDT 2010

At UC Merced we had the same problem, which turned out to be caused by
setting localIndexBase to a shared directory, resulting in the
different instances interfering with each others' index files.

Currently we have two dedicated indexer instances which are not part
of the customer-serving pool. One of these serves as the search
server, and it's working out fine.

The configuration for the indexers (one of which performs searching as well) is:

search.indexbuild=true
# This directory is not shared
localIndexBase at org.sakaiproject.search.api.JournalSettings=${sakai.home}/indexwork
# This directory is shared between the indexers via NFS
sharedJournalBase at org.sakaiproject.search.api.JournalSettings=${sakai.home}/searchjournal
searchServer at org.sakaiproject.search.api.SearchService=true
sharedKey at org.sakaiproject.search.api.SearchService=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
# Set this to TRUE for a single indexing server, or FALSE when there
are multiple indexing servers.
localSegmentsOnly at org.sakaiproject.search.api.SearchService.SegmentStore=false

The configuration for the client instances is:

search.indexbuild=false
searchServerUrl at org.sakaiproject.search.api.SearchService=<SEARCH_SERVER_HTTP_URL>/sakai-search-tool/xmlsearch/
sharedKey at org.sakaiproject.search.api.SearchService=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

--