[Building Sakai] um ... it started

Matthew Jones jonespm at umich.edu
Wed Nov 3 13:19:00 PDT 2010

Since nobody else responded yet, I'll give the quick (and probably incorrect
but better than nothing) summary.

The startup of tomcat for webapps is mostly random. "There is no expected
startup order. Neither the Servlet spec nor Tomcat define one. You can't
rely on the apps starting in any particular order." [1] However, with Spring
and the ComponentManager, it was originally worked around this as the first
time some webapp starts up that requires ComponentManager gets a lot of
other things started up in a specific order. This was described in this
early technical document (in WebApp Load Order) [2] "The Component manager
starts up as a side effect of the first webapp starting." [3]

After that the other webapps load in a way that's usually predictable but
occasionally random.

There were a number of component manager ideas proposed years ago to fix
some of the problems but for lack of resources and complexity never
implemented in Sakai 2.x. However, I think one or more of these were the
incorporated into Sakai 3.

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Miscellaneous#Q27
*[2]
http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/download/attachments/37290420/sakai_spring.pdf