[Building Sakai] Course site maintainer unable to email class mailing list

Brian Griffith griffibw.sakai at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 09:24:58 PDT 2010

We have a professor who is unable to email his course site participants.  We
have double checked the following:

He IS a member of the site
He has the maintainer role
When I log in as him, I see that his email address is allowed to send emails
to the list (I had two other people verify this, just in case my contacts
were foggy)
His "from" address is set correctly and coming through correctly

Additionally, it fails from multiple email clients.  While not surprising,
this would seem to at least eliminate a client issue.

Here is what we are seeing in the logs (usernames redacted):

In /home/sakai/sakaiData/logs/james-2010-11-02.log:
02/11/10 16:14:01 INFO  smtpserver: Successfully spooled mail from
username at whitman.edu for [JPNS_105_A_F10 at cleo.whitman.edu]
So it looks like the Java mail server (James) received it.

In /home/sakai/apache-tomcat-5.5.30/logs/catalina.out:
2010-11-02 16:14:01,606  INFO default Worker #6
org.sakaiproject.james.SakaiMailet - <
4238ADB0-2615-47F8-8EBE-97739AF0265C at whitman.edu> : mail rejected: from:
username at whitman.edu not authorized for site: JPNS_105_A_F10

We appreciate any direction or ideas anybody might have for continued
troubleshooting.

Thanks,

Brian Griffith
Whitman College