[Building Sakai] Deploy search into a smaller build?

Matthew Buckett matthew.buckett at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Wed Mar 31 07:51:55 PDT 2010

On 31 March 2010 14:49, David Horwitz <david.horwitz at uct.ac.za> wrote:
> There a couple of ways of doing this:
>
> 1) Grab the search code and do a mvn clean install sakai:deploy - all
> the deploy targets are all there

At the moment there are quite a few services deploy as overlays
(search, common, edu-services, emailtemplateservice, job scheduller).
Discovering which artifact is needed and where it normally comes from,
checking out the source, building it and deploying it isn't a quick 2
minute job.

> 2) Grab the overlay and unzip it into your tomcat

It would be nice if we could do this from maven so it grabs the latest
one. It also gives you the whole overlay and sometimes you don't want
all the parts as you then need to deploy other dependencies.

> 3) edit the deployer pom (or create a new one to do 2)

What I was raising is that although we might now have a smaller
checkout and release management may be better, it's not necessarily
clearer or easier for developers.

--
  Matthew Buckett
  VLE Developer, LTG, Oxford University Computing Services