[Building Sakai] one question about Sakai development and management

Matthew Jones jonespm at umich.edu
Fri Jun 25 08:07:34 PDT 2010

I agree with Sean, staffing levels vary a lot based on how much involvement
you want, what types of customizations you need, and what level of research
you want to invest. Commercial options are available either to start with to
continue on, rather than having local staff if desired.

Many schools keep up-to-date a lot of information including staffing levels
at this link:
http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/PROD

*For some examples:*
The University of Michigan does a lot of active development and has around 5
developers/designers, 3 system administrators/dbas, 4 support/training/tech
writers. [1] We don't all work entirely on core Sakai though.

The University of Windsor did a presentation of their deployment/transition
at the conference. [2] They started out at the beginning with rSmart before
transitioning to in house staff. From their prod link it appears for full
time they have 1 developer, 1 administrator and 1 support person. [3]

You could potentially get by with 1 very talented and overworked person if
they were an expert in multiple fields, but this seems risky. ;) Possibly 2
if you had someone else doing the support.

I'm sure they're other examples out there as well,

[1] http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/PROD-2 (click on the staffing tab)
[2] http://goo.gl/Vm2g
[3] http://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/PROD-44

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 10:44 AM, Sean Keesler <sean.keesler at threecanoes.com