[Building Sakai] any thoughts? java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/sakaiproject/util/ParameterParser

Charles Hedrick hedrick at rutgers.edu
Tue Jul 6 06:53:31 PDT 2010

In one developer instance I'm getting the following backtrace

2010-07-06 08:53:59,874 ERROR http-8080-Processor24 org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.[Catalina].[localhost].[/sakai-content-tool].[sak\ai.resources] - Servlet.service() for servlet sakai.resources threw exception
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/sakaiproject/util/ParameterParser
        at org.sakaiproject.vm.ComponentServlet.service(ComponentServlet.java:50)
        at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:729)
        at org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(ApplicationFilterChain.java:269)

There are several differences from our production system, but none that seem connected:

1) A new tool, which uses the resource picker. But the error comes without invoking the new tool.
2) Tomcat 5.5.29. We use older Tomcat's in production
3) Linux. We use Solaris in production.