[Building Sakai] [DG: Teaching & Learning] Google Apps Integration in Sakai

Duffy Gillman duffy at rsmart.com
Thu Jan 21 08:58:07 PST 2010

The limitations that I'm seeing for Google integration are around
authz.  Bboogle creates Google groups to model course membership, so
it can maintain a coherent view of permissions in Blackboard and
Google.  My attempts to parse apart that same function for Sakai have
shown that to be a bit tricky.  It is no problem to initially set the
permissions on a document if we assume all users in the Sakai instance
have Google accounts in the same domain.  But keeping those
permissions in synch with all the potential changes on the Sakai side
seems hairy.  Consider all the ways you might alter who has authority
to view a document (add/remove function to AuthzGroup, add/remove role
to AuthzGroup, add/remove user to role,...).  Assurance that a user
can/can't access a document directly through Google would necessarily
lag way behind some periodic or lazy update from Sakai.

As far as providing the Google Documents data to users within Sakai
based on Sakai's authz, things look fairly keen.  We are looking to
provide a ContentHostingHandler which will permit site maintainers to
share documents from Google in a read-only fashion through Resources.
This seems a good first-stab given the limitations on keeping authz in
synch in a generalizable way.  Document editing would occur on the
Google site itself, but it looks like it should be possible to stream
the documents for download to users through Sakai.  Authorization into
Google would require use of OAuth, so I have designed a token
management service to aid that effort.  I've pasted a rough vision of
the design into Confluence if you're interested or have feedback:

http://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/SAKDEV/Read-Only+Google+Documents+Integration

Cheers,

     Duffy

Duffy Gillman